THE OPPORTUNITY – ECONOMIC RESEARCH ASSISTANT
You are invited to explore the position of Economic Research Assistant with the Coalition for a Prosperous America Education Fund. Our organization is dedicated to educational activities that will result in new and positive U.S. trade and economic policies to help America win the international competition for good jobs, sustained economic growth and strong domestic supply chains.
The Economic Research Assistant will support the Research Director in developing and presenting data and economic analysis in pursuit of CPA’s research, education and advocacy in the areas of trade, monetary, tax and economic policies. The Research Assistant should have excellent economic analysis skills with the ability to find, compile, evaluate and present data. The candidate should be a self starter with the ability to manage his/her time during the day, research and write articles on his/her own, communicate well orally, and work as part of an interactive team. Experience with econometric modeling would be a plus including CGE or macroeconomic models.
The purpose of the position is to help CPAEF influence the national trade and economic debate by conducting research on pressing issues and translating that research into publications that are clearly written and easily comprehensible by both expert and lay audiences. We are looking for a meticulous, energetic and hard-working individual who will help build our reputation as a
provider of credible, reliable data and analysis that helps policymakers, opinion leaders and the general public understand how trade policies impact the daily lives of business owners, workers, farmers and ranchers. The Research Assistant will work remotely and must therefore be organized and self directed to be effective.
– Assist the Research Director in the research, writing and editing of CPAEF’S research and policy resources and publications, which are primarily online
– Gain familiarity with the key US and international databases containing employment and national income accounts, employment and industrial data
– Assist in the development and management of new research projects from design through analysis to presentation and communication of findings, with quantitative and qualitative data
– Interact with CPA members, other economists, and government and congressional staffers to discuss economic and political issues and concepts
– Write research articles which clearly present data and analysis for multiple audiences
– Run simulations of various scenarios on econometric models
– Support the Research Director and take the initiative in reporting and commenting on government statistical news releases such as trade and employment data
– Respond to member inquiries on data, research and policy
– Stay current on research and policy
– Assist in identifying and applying for grant opportunities
– Represent the organization externally
– Assist in website posting, supporter database management, calendaring and other administrative tasks as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND PREFERENCES
The ideal candidate will possess boundless energy and a great sense of humor, must be driven, entrepreneurial, a team player, and be absolutely dedicated to fixing US trade policy to benefit our members and the country.
– Bachelor’s degree in economics required. Master’s degree, J.D. or Ph.D. preferred.
– Excellent research, analytical, writing and public speaking skills. Strong attention to detail. Must be particularly skilled at gathering and presenting information in a clear, concise and simple manner to persuade target audiences of varying political/ideological backgrounds. Previous research and writing experience required.
– Excellent time management skills to maintain a professional and productive workday in a remote work environment
– Good project and staff management skills and a proven ability to manage projects to completion on-time and within budget
– Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment, to organize multiple and varied assignments and to work both independently and collaboratively with a team
– Ability and willingness to travel, as required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CPAEF is committed to a competitive salary and benefits plan that provides opportunities for education, professional development and supports work-life balance. Because of the small size of the paid staff, benefits are negotiable.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To be considered, candidates should submit a resume, salary requirements and cover letter along with references to [email protected] Only candidates who are being actively considered will be contacted.