FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Paola Masman, Media Director
202-688-5145 ext 2, [email protected]
Trump Should Reject Boustany Bid for USTR Slot
Washington ~ The Coalition for a Prosperous America (CPA) urged President-elect Trump to reject Rep. Charles Boustany’s effort to become the new US Trade Representative. Boustany’s trade positions and voting history is directly opposed to Trump’s campaign promises.
“There are few House members more out of step with President-elect Trump than Representative Boustany,” said Michael Stumo, CEO of CPA. “The Congressman has voted wrong on trade throughout his career. Working class Americans would seriously question Trump’s commitment to fixing US trade performance if Boustany is appointed.”
Boustany’s entire record on trade makes him unfit to lead the Office of the USTR.
1. Boustany was co-chair of the TPP Caucus which focused upon generating support for passage of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Trump opposes the TPP and promises to withdraw on “day one” of his term in office.
2. Boustany voted for Fast Track trade authority in 2015. Trump opposed it.
3. Boustany voted for free trade agreements with Bahrain, Oman, Korea, Panama, Peru and Colombia. Trump opposed the Korea deal, which doubled the US-Korea bilateral trade deficit, and has never supported a trade agreement.
4. Boustany voted against the Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act in 2010. Trump supports fixing currency manipulation.
5. Boustany voted against the America COMPETES Act 2010 which sought to revitalize America’s high tech industry performance. Trump’s has stated that his core principles are to innovate here and manufacture here.
“We are hopeful that when Trump and his transition team examine Rep. Boustany’s record, they will conclude that he is the wrong choice to carry out the President-elect’s campaign promises as the US Trade Ambassador.
The Coalition for a Prosperous America is a nonprofit organization representing the interests of 2.7 million households through our agricultural, manufacturing and labor members.